Sunday 28 July 2013

It's the most wonderful time of the year!



That's right folks this years premiere DotA 2 tournament, The International 3, is coming up next week!  I've never been much of a sports fan, but I'd imagine the excitement I'm feeling waiting for the best DotA 2 teams in the world to clash for the prize pool of $2,697,747 USD is similar to a football fan looking forward to the superbowl!

This year they did something a little different to increase the prize pool.  They're selling to fans something called the International DotA 2 Compendium.  This gives tons of stuff like a rare courier that evolves throughout the tournament, the ability to assemble a fantasy team of players made up of those people attending TI3, and much more.  It's really a great idea that gives more money to the players competing in the tournament, and gives fans some cool e-swag and more ways to feel like they're a part of the event.

There's a great group of team's heading down to Seattle to compete this year.  You can see a full list here.  Every year there is a bit of a flame war going on between fans from the West and fans from the East.  Each side rabidly supports their teams and claim that their side is going to come out on top as the dominant DotA 2 regions. Like most North American fans, I'm gonna be cheering for the team's with Canadian and American players.  Team Liquid, Team Dignitas, and LGD-Int.  However, after watching last year's International tournament I really gained a huge amount of respect for some of the Asian teams.  Invictus Gaming and LGD Gaming in particular won me over and I can't wait to see them competing against the other top teams in the world!

The excitement will be starting August 3rd with the first rounds of the group stage taking place.  I'm gonna be lying on the couch in my underwear watching the whole tournament on my 55" plasma tv!  Who needs to spend all that money flying down there?

-HellFire

No comments:

Post a Comment